ASCD is committed to highlighting diverse voices in education and fostering a dynamic community of passionate thinkers who share ideas around problems of practice and leadership. To further these aims, we welcome submissions for blog posts on best practices, innovative and creative approaches, and ideas in K–12 education.
Short blog posts (600-1,200 words) should be written in an approachable, conversational, inviting, nonacademic style. They should be directed toward an audience of practicing educators—including school and district leaders, instructional coaches and learning coordinators, and teachers—and focus on one or more of ASCD's core topic areas: curriculum and instruction; equity and cultural competency; leadership and management; social-emotional learning; technology; and whole child education.
What We Look For
In general, we look for pieces that are timely and topical, addressing current issues and problems of practice in the field in a concise, conversational, and lively manner. Blog posts should also be solution-oriented and grounded in authentic educational practice and evidence. Here are some examples of the types of online content we publish:
- Best practice pieces on instructional or leadership strategies that offer immediate takeaways for readers.
- Blog posts focused on specific problems of practice in a school community (whether at the classroom or leadership level) and proposed or attempted solutions.
- Pieces highlighting or responding to recent developments, controversies, or research findings in the field.
- Blog posts responding to current events and their implications for schools and educators.
- Personal stories on professional challenges or successes.
- Blog posts for school leaders (including teacher leaders) highlighting ideas and approaches to systemwide change and impact.
- Blog posts focused on ideas and improvements in educator professional development.
- Some of our most widely read topics include instructional strategies, engagement, leadership, professional learning, equity, curriculum, technology, school culture, assessment, classroom management, policy, and social-emotional learning.
What We Don't Want
Types of content we are not likely to publish on the ASCD Blog include research reviews or reports; press releases or product promotions; organizational position/policy statements (including those masked as articles); and attack pieces or political rants. Our style is friendly, conversational, and relaxed. While evidence-based and substantive, the articles we publish are not academic in style and do not use excessive jargon or insider terms.
We also do not accept any content that, in whole or in part, has been previously published, in print or online. Nor do we accept pitches for guest posts.
ASCD reserves the right to reject material, whether solicited or otherwise, on the basis of its evaluative criteria and current content needs. ASCD offers no remuneration for online articles.
Please do not include attachments of photos or artwork with your submission. Images will be discussed during the editing process as needed.
Please allow one month for a response before querying about the status of your submission.
We look forward to reading your work!